Moving from one state to another is a huge undertaking. Taking care of your family and your possessions is your priority. Still, among the chaos, it’s all too easy to forget some of the necessities that prepare you for safe travel and arrival at your new Massachusetts home. Insurance differs from state to state, and not being ready for the unexpected can lead to unnecessary hassles. This checklist can help you get all of your insurance coverage in order to ensure a smooth transition during and after your move.
Protecting Your Assets During Travel
Traveling over a long distance is a prime way to get into unexpected adventures. The right insurance coverage can help to make sure all of your experiences have a happy ending. Understanding the restrictions of your current homeowner’s insurance is the first step in deciding whether you’ll need additional coverage for the move. There are a variety of ways to protect your assets during travel.
- Your current homeowner’s insurance – Before you close out your current policy, talk to your insurance agent to get a full understanding of possession coverage. Some policies only cover personal possessions while they are in the house. Other policies may cover possessions in storage. It’s also essential to learn what your insurance plan covers. For instance, your policy may include theft, but not damage that occurs during an accident.
- Insurance through the moving company – If you’ve hired a moving company, they’re required by federal law to offer mover’s insurance that covers loss or damage to your possessions. You simply choose the amount of coverage you need.
- Mover’s insurance – If you’re making a move on your own, you will likely need to secure additional coverage. If you rent a moving truck, insurance can probably be secured through the truck company. If you’re using your personal vehicle, talk to your current insurance provider about adding additional coverage for the move.
- Your new homeowner’s policy – If your circumstances require you to put items in storage near your new residence, seeking an insurance agent in Massachusetts before the move can be helpful. Your new policy will likely cover items in local storage.
Understanding Insurance Requirements in Massachusetts
The laws for insurance coverage can vary widely from state to state. This is why it’s a good idea to research the rules and deadlines surrounding home and auto insurance before you make the big move. This helpful guide lists insurance requirements in Massachusetts.
- Upon moving to Massachusetts, you must convert your out-of-state driver’s license and obtain auto insurance if you plan to drive.
- You must register an out-of-state vehicle within 30 days, which requires proof of insurance.
- Teens under 16 are not allowed to drive in Massachusetts. Therefore, if your teen driver is under 16 years old, you might be interested in changing your insurance policy.
- The statutory limit of coverage for auto insurance in Massachusetts includes; bodily injury to others, personal injury protection, bodily injury caused by uninsured vehicles, and damage to someone else’s property.
- Homeowner’s, rental, or mobile home insurance policies aren’t required by state law. However, lender’s or lease agreements often require these policies.
Meeting Insurance Needs in Your New Home
There are so many tasks to take care of after moving that it can be easy to overlook the need to change your insurance coverage. The types of home and auto insurance you need will depend on your living situation and the drivers in your home. Sometimes, additional policies are a good idea to cover valuable items or beloved pets. Use this checklist to get your insurance changes in order when you move to Massachusetts.
- Get homeowner’s insurance. If you’re financing a new home in Massachusetts, you might be required to show proof of insurance before closing. This will require you to obtain home insurance before you move. If you’re purchasing a mobile home, a mobile home insurance policy is available.
- Keep your old insurance policy active while you move. Driving in Massachusetts without auto insurance is illegal. Your current plan will keep you covered until you change your registration.
- Assess your insurance needs. Moving to a new state means significant changes in your life. It’s an excellent time to assess the insurance you need for your home, vehicles, and possessions.
- Outfit your new home with security features to help decrease insurance costs.
- Get renter’s insurance. If you are planning on renting a home in Massachusetts, you’ll probably need rental insurance upon moving. While state law doesn’t require it, a rental insurance policy might be included in your lease agreement.
- Register your vehicles and get auto insurance. In Massachusetts, out-of-state vehicles must be registered within 30 days. Auto insurance is needed for registration.
- Consider your unique needs. Insurance is designed to protect you from financial disaster or shortfalls when emergencies arise. Different policies are available to cover veterinarian costs for pets, specific requirements for classic cars, motorcycles, boats, valuable personal articles, recreational vehicles, and even some aspects of your own lifestyle.
Securing the best insurance policies for you and your family can be a confusing process. This is where a dedicated insurance agent can help. While you may be able to continue working with your previous insurance carrier, your move to Massachusetts may open up more opportunities for superior local coverage. LoPriore Insurance Agency combines a dedicated team of professionals with a passion for insurance, resulting in a unique ability to offer the right solutions for your insurance needs at a price you can afford. Our agents work as a team and are available to answer questions, provide instant quotes, or help you understand the laws surrounding insurance in Massachusetts.
Moving is a monumental task. Finding the right insurance in your new state shouldn’t have to be a hassle, which is why you need an insurance agent you can trust. At LoPriore Insurance Agency, our motto is insurance that fits your lifestyle. Our experienced insurance agents can provide information, advice, and a simple process that makes one task of moving easy to take care of. Contact us today for an instant quote on the policies that best meet your current needs, and check one more task off of your moving checklist.